Saturday, June 15, 2013

LIC Flea Market

Wes and I realized a couple of months ago that we rarely get off the island (and yes I realize that makes it sound like we live in an insane asylum...which is scarily true...). So when I heard that Long Island City (in Queens) was opening a flea market for the first time ever on Saturday I knew we had to go!! My co-worker lives around the area and said it is really beautiful and has great views of the city. So, I dragged Wes to LIC for another flea market!

When we got off the train we were a little confused where we were. The streets were totally empty! It was a little eerie... Like I said, we don't get off the island very often. The buildings were low and we felt like we had stepped into the Pearl District of Portland. As we continued onto the Flea Market we continued to feel like we were in Portland. This market was fun because it is not like the ones in Manhattan that all have the same vendors. This was a true "hipster" flea market. There were some awesome food vendors there as well. Here is a picture of the flea from the back (I was sitting on the sidewalk eating a yummy pulled pork sandwich!). 
And yes it was as hot as it looks... I feel we need a warning if it is going to be 80 degrees and humid when yesterday was around 55 degrees... Weather you can't change that quickly! 

After we made it through the cute flea we walked down to the waterfront. Who knew Queens was so pretty!! We were also shocked with how few people were there!! It is the little things that get us excited now... 

The waterfront had great views of the city. 

I may have been melting...


The park was amazing. It had all these park benches, playgrounds, sports courts, large lawns, and even these cool hammocks! Wes wanted to move in to the waterfront apartments instantly. Seriously though, this little park area was so gorgeous and refreshing. It is good for us to get off the island now and then, even if it is just over the river. 

1 comment: