This year marked a first for me. I was made head coach of a Middle School Lacrosse team. It was my second year with the team/private school, but last year I just there to help where I could. This year, the team was mine to run and take care of. I was so excited, but very nervous. I already knew most of the girls. The 8th graders were some of my favorite kids at the school as well as some of the best athletes. Last year the team only lost one game so I knew we had a lot to live up to.
I quickly learned coaching is harder than I used to think, and very different than playing. I also learned that I couldn't expect my girls to run drills I was used to running at BYU, or even LO, but I really wanted to push my girls to grasp high school level concepts so they would make the transition well. Luckily, my girls were up to the challenge. The year may have been rocky for me as a coach but my girls improved with each game.
This whole year I loved watching them grow and get excited about the sport. We ended the season 5-1-1. We blew out most teams and I often had to tell my girls to stop shooting.
I'm sad to have the season end, but excited to watch my 8th graders play for the Upper School next year. I'll never forget my goofy 8th graders.
Sadly, I don't have many photos but here are two that I thought were cute.
This just makes me laugh because no one is actually listening to me. This was pretty common...
A few of my 8th graders. They are so confident and outgoing. I'm going to really miss them.
And now I have a whole year to wait for the next season. I love coaching Volleyball and Basketball as well, but nothing will be as great as Lacrosse. Have a great summer (for those lucky enough to have an actual break)!!


How fun! What a perfect job for you. I bet your girls loved having you as a coach, too. Miss you Anna!
ReplyDeleteCome coach here!! We miss you! Glad you had such a good season though :)
ReplyDelete