Thursday, November 1, 2012

Fall Family Fun

The blog has been up for a make over for a long time. I'm going to use the need to change the blog as my excuse for not posting in so long. I'll "quickly" catch up (it is mostly pictures).

My parents came to visit over Labor Day weekend to begin our exciting fall. Their trip consisted of the US Open, a Yankee game, and four days in the beautiful city of Boston. I have to admit that I fell in love with the city. It reminded me of a bigger Portland. We spent our four days learning about Boston's history (all included in the free Freedom Trail) and enjoying wonderful food - we were glad it was a walking city after all we ate! The Freedom Trail is such a fun part of the city with its cute red brick strip that you follow throughout the city. We also rented bikes for a day, kayaked in the harbor, went on a infamous duck tour, and ate some lobster.












Wes and I cleaned the apartment and kept the air mattress out as we then got the pleasure of the Collett's visiting! Stacy's sister used to live in the city so they didn't care to do the typical visiting site seeing. With Stacy's help, we got creative and explored parts of the city Wes and I had not yet ventured into. I sadly had to work while they were here, but got to enjoy a VIP Yankee game, cute street fairs, and an amazing smelling Italian festival that consumed about 6 blocks. I usually avoid "New Yorky" places on Saturdays, but the Steve and Stacy made me realize that we are in NYC and should enjoy the abundance of activities, even if they are packed full of people. They also got to see the amazing broadway Once. 











It took a couple weeks for us to recover from our exciting September, but as the city started to head into Fall we felt compelled to join in. I found a true farm in Queens that was accessible through public transportation that actually had a pumpkin patch! We made the two hour trek and enjoyed every part of the farm. We hand picked out our pumpkins (man they are expensive at a real farm!), dank freshly made apple cider, ate fresh roasted corn on the cob, and enjoyed the wonderful feeling of being out of the city!





Our fall was quickly altered with the appearance of lovely Sandy this past weekend. We were extremely blessed to have barely felt her fury. Our power flickered throughout the night but we never lost power. The park right next to us lost a lot of trees, but we were again extremely blessed that the trees fell within the park instead of onto the streets where they could've done some serious damage. The city is continuing to repair itself. Some trains ran for the first time this morning! It will take a while to return to normal but NYC will not be stopped.



On random other news, we both continue to enjoy work. Wes loves that the holidays are almost here as it means his work has not been as crazy. My work at the clinic is around the same. My volleyball team just finished as number one in their league and will start playoffs next week as the number two seed (postponed due to Sandy)!

Besides work, our minds are now fully focused on Peru. We leave this month- as in less than 15 days! It seems like we have been planning forever and I'm still shocked it is almost here!!! Today actually marked two weeks until we will be leaving! We are beyond excited!

We have had such a fun fall and will continue into an exciting winter.

That is our life up until now.


5 comments:

  1. I love all of the pictures!! My dad just decided we're going to be in NYC over Thanksgiving! What are your plans?? I'd LOVE to see you if at all possible :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo we are in Peru for Thanksgiving! I can't believe you are finally coming and I'll be gone!! When will you be here?

      Delete
  2. ANNA! I love these pictures I feel like I have not seen you in FOREVER. How is New York? How long are you guys going to stay out there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hill I can't believe you are married and live in California now! Things change so quickly! I love that you have a blog now though because then I can easily stalk your life. NY is good. Just working and having fun. We have no idea how long we will be out here. It is more how long I can survive. ha How about you in California? How is it?

      Delete
  3. Whoa. Serious remodel of the blog. Very ambitious of you! It threw me off a bit (I might not have realized at first you had to click on the post title to read the whole post), but then again I am very tired. Fun pictures!

    ReplyDelete